abstract road

Florida Mom Incriminated by 11-Year-Old Son for DUI

Florida Mom Incriminated by 11-Year-Old Son for DUI

Posted By Parks & Braxton, PA || 17-Oct-2012

A Florida mom was arrested after she crashed her BMW while intoxicated. Her two children were in the back seat of the car, and the 11-year-old obliged to show police the cop of wine she had been drinking behind the wheel. It was only a portion of the 3 1/2 bottles that she chugged while she was on the road. Janet Malizia slammed her car into an SUV in Florida and then drove away with the children in the back of the car without exchanging information with her victim. The victim then called the police, and they pursued and eventually apprehended her.

When she denied that she had been had been under the influence, her son showed the cup that she had been drinking out of and told the police that she had bought five bottles of wine at a gas station. The boy said that when he went inside he told his mother not to buy the wine because she shouldn't drink and drive. She ignored him and purchased the alcohol anyway. Malizia admitted that she drank 3 and a half bottles of the wine and eventually agreed that it was wrong to drink with her children in the car. She was charged with two counts of DUI and with one count of leaving a crash scene. She was taken to jail but eventually released on a $7,500 bond.

If you have been arrested driving under the influence with children in the car, your sentence may be raised. According to the Florida Penal Code, a DUI when a minor is in a car will probably heighten your jail sentence and the amount you will have to pay in fines. The court can sentence you to an additional three months in jail and give you an extra $1,000 to $4,000 in fines as a result of the mistake. If you have been arrested for a DUI involving a minor, then contact a Fort Lauderdale DUI attorney at Parks & Braxton, PA today for representation!

Categories: DUI, In the News

Obtain Immediate Legal Help

To save your license, you must act within 10 days. Contact a partner about your case at (954) 519-2290 or fill out the form here.

Get in Touch Now